There are a few modes in multiplayer. The first is split screen where you can play against friends on the same console and same screen with preset classes. However, you cannot play on all maps. You can customize the settings of the match in various ways such as headshots only for a kill, double health, hardcore mode, old school mode and more
There is also system link to hook up many systems and play just like split screen, but on different screens.
In the multiplayer you can play against other people around the world on the same system you’re playing online. Meaning xbox 360 to xbox 360 or PS3 to PS3 only, no cross consoles. There is a private match option to play with friends using your created classes and customized settings for matches. Or you can find a match in one of the 14 play lists. These play lists are:
- Team Deathmatch – Straight up Team Deathmatch. Use teamwork to kill enemy players and reach the score limit (750 points/75 Kills). 6-12 players. Each kill is 10 points and an assist is 2 points
- Mercenary Team Deathmatch – Same as team deathmatch however you get set up with random teams and no parties are allowed
- Free For All – Straight up Deathmatch. Every man for himself. Kill Everyone. 4-8 players. Each kill is 5 points with no assists. First to 25 kills/125 Points wins.
- Domination – 3 flags in the level must be captured. Your team gets points for having control of a flag. The more flags your team holds, the more points you gain. 6-12 players. Each kill is 5 points, assists are 1 point.
- Capturing a flag is 15 points. The Game ends when the flag capture points reach 200 for one of the teams
- Ground War – Big team games – Team Deathmatch and Domination. 8-18 players. First team to 1000 Points/100 Kills or to 200 points in domination wins.
- Sabotage – A neutral bomb is in the center of the level and teams fight to destroy the enemy team’s objective. The bomb carrier can be seen by all players. First team to successfully bomb the enemy objective wins. However if nobody bombs the other team’s objective after the 20 minute time limit then there is a 90 second sudden death. No respawns and the first team to kill the other team wins. 6-12 players. Each kill is 5 points. Assists are 1 point. If you die you have to wait 7 seconds to respawn
- Headquarters – A neutral base to capture is marked in the level. Each team fights to capture it. Capture and hold it to gain 5 points every 5 seconds. The team that holds the HQ doesn’t respawn. 6-12 players. Each kill is 5 points but adds more points per kill when holding a HQ. Assists are 1 point. Capturing the HQ is 15 points plus the 5 points everyone gets once the base is captured.
- Search and Destroy – No Respawning, defend and destroy one of the two objectives. Just like sabotage, but nobody can see where the bomb is with the animated bomb sign. 6-12 players. Each kill is 50 points, Assists are 25 points, and planting the bomb is 50 points.
- Team Tactical – Small team based games. Team Deathmatch, Domination, Headquarters, Sabotage, and Search and Destory. 4-6 player
- Hardcore Team Deathmatch – Team Deathmatch with: no points popping up when you get a kill, no kill cam when you die, no HUD, no crosshairs, wait to respawn (anywhere between 1 and 16 seconds), minimal health, no health regeneration. Friendly fire on, if you kill a team mate 2 times you get 15 seconds added on to your respawn and die instantly. Each team kill after that adds 15 seconds and is an instant death. 6-12 players. Same points as TDM.
- Hardcore Search and Destroy – Search and Destroy with hardcore rules. 6-12 players
- Old School Free For All – No classes. Weapons and perks are pickups, health increased, no health regeneration, and jumps are higher. 4-8 players. FFA points and score limit is the same.
- Cage Match – 1v1 deathmatch. 20 XP for each kill and first to 10 kills wins
- Hardcore Headquarters – Headquarters under hardcore rules. Once you die you instantly respawn. Hardcore rules and headquarter rules can be read in the other playlist descriptions.
The Barracks is another section of the online multiplayer which allows you to create a clan tag with 1-4 characters. However, some words have been banned. There are challenges you can complete to gain XP rewards and weapon add ons. The leader boards is another section in the barracks that allows you to view your Score, Wins, Kills, and Accuracy against your friends or everyone in the world on that particular console/system.
- Ambush – Medium Rectangular desert town. USMC vs Op For.
- Backlot – Medium square desert construction site. USMC vs Op For.
- Bloc – Large Russian apartment bloc. Dark and grassy. SAS vs Spetsnaz. (Ghillie Suit Activated)
- Bog – Small desert bog. Rectangular dark half bog half town. USMC vs Op For
- Countdown – Medium Open launch pad with lots of concrete, 4 warehouses, and a small grassy area on the side. SAS vs Spetsnaz. (Ghillie Suit Activated)
- Crash – Medium-Large Desert town with a crashed helicopter in the middle. Lots of buildings to go into. USMC vs Op For. During christmas time, on the PC, they repainted the map as a snowy area.
- Crossfire – Large desert town. One big main road with tons of buildings on the sides. USMC vs Op For.
- District – Large urban town with a market in the middle. Lots of corners, but not many buildings to go into. USMC vs Op For.
- Downpour – Medium-Large rainy russian farm area. Lots of grass. SAS vs Spetsnaz. (Ghillie Suit Activated)
- Overgrown – Large overgrown rural Russian area. Great for sniping. SAS vs Spetsnaz. (Ghillie Suit Activated)
- Pipeline – Medium-Large Russian train yard. SAS vs Spetsnaz. (Ghillie Suit Activated)
- Shipment – Tiny Russian shipyard. Lots of metallic crates. SAS vs Spetsnaz.
- Showdown – Small desert arena. USMC vs Op For.
- Strike – Large urban desert town. USMC vs Op For.
- Vacant – Deserted Russian office. Many indoor corners and a grassy outside with metallic crates. SAS vs Spetsnaz.
- Wet Work – Medium-large (long rectangular) cargoship. Very dark and rainy. SAS vs Spetsnaz.
And there is one map pack available for purchase with 4 maps. The maps will only come up if you have them downloaded on your system. You will be matched up only with people who have the map pack.
- Broadcast – Medium Large Middle Eastern TV station. Lots of indoor fighting and a
- parking lot with buildings outside. USMC vs Op For.
- Chinatown – Medium chinatown city at night. Lots of buildings to go through. SAS vs Spetsnaz.
- Killhouse – Very small speedball style warehouse interior. Great for small teams. SAS vs Spetsnaz.
- Creek – Large Russian outdoor area. Lots of trees next to a creek. (Ghillie Suit Activated) SAS vs Spetsnaz.
Ranks and Unlockables
Rank – Class- XP Required – Unlocked
1. Private First Class – 0 – USP .45 / MP5 / M249 SAW / M16A4 / C-4 x2 /
Special Grenade x3 / Juggernaut / Sonic Boom / Steady Aim / Deep Impact /
Stopping Power / Extreme Conditioning/ Assault, Spec Ops, and Heavy Gunner Class
2. Private I – 30 – Demolitions Class / W1200 / RPG-7 x2
3. Private II – 120 – Class / M40A3
4. Lance Corporal – 270 – / Scorpion / RPD / AK 47
5. Lance Corporal I – 480 – Challenges
6. Lance Corporal II – 750
7. Corporal – 1080
8. Corporal I – 1470 – M21 / Last Stand
9. Corporal II – 1920
10. Sergeant – 2430 – M4 Carbine
11. Sergeant I – 3000 – UAV Jammer
12. Sergeant II – 3650 – Clan Tag
13. Staff Sergeant – 4380 – Mini Uzi
14. Staff Sergeant I – 5190 – Bomb Squad
15. Staff Sergeant II – 6080
16. Gunnery Sergeant – 7050 – M1911 .45
17. Gunnery Sergeant I – 8100 – Martyrdom
18. Gunnery Sergeant II – 9230
19. Master Sergeant – 10440 – M60E4
20. Master Sergeant I – 11730 – Sleight of Hand
21. Master Sergeant II – 13100
22. Master Gunnery Sergeant – 14550 – Dragunov
23. Master Gunnery Sergeant I – 16080 – Claymore x2
24. Master Gunnery Sergeant II – 17690
25. 2nd Lieutenant – 19380 – G3
26. 2nd Lieutenant I – 21150 – Iron Lungs
27. 2nd Lieutenant II – 23000
28. 1st Lieutenant – 24930 – AK-74u
29. 1st Lieutenant I – 26940 – Double Tap
30. 1st Lieutenant II – 29030
31. Captain – 31240 – M1014
32. Captain I – 33570 – Bandolier
33. Captain II – 36020
34. Major – 38590 – R700
35. Major I – 41280 – Eavesdrop
36. Major II – 44090
37. Lieutenant Colonel – 47020 – G36C
38. Lieutenant Colonel I – 50070 – Overkill
39. Lieutenant Colonel II – 53240
40. Colonel – 56530 – P90
41. Colonel I – 59940 – Frag x3
42. Colonel II – 63470
43. Brigadier General – 67120 – Desert Eagle
44. Brigadier General I – 70890 – Dead Silence
45. Brigadier General II – 74780
46. Major General – 78790 – M14
47. Major General I – 82920
48. Major General II – 87170
49. Lieutenant General – 91540 – Barrett .50cal
50. Lieutenant General I – 96030
51. Lieutenant General II – 100640
52. General – 105370 – MP44
53. General I – 110220
54. General II – 115190
55. Commander – 120280 – Gold Desert Eagle
56. Prestige Mode – 125490 – Prestige Mode
Prestige Mode unlocks after level 55. You have to go to the barracks to activate it. When entering prestige mode EVERYTHING is started over from level 1 with the exception of the play lists, clan tag, and barracks leaderboards (challenges are locked again). You gain XP and rank up again but you get a special icon next to your rank. You can prestige 10 times.