Call of Duty Black Ops offers 50 ranks in each of the 15 Prestige Ranks. Earn XP to rank up by playing player matches. While you rank up you will unlock more items for use and more playlists. View your playercard to see how much XP you need to rank up. The following is the rank table:
Rank Level / Class Name / XP Required to Rank Up (XP Total) / Items Unlocked
1. Private: Start (0XP) – SMG, CQB, and Assault Default Classes / TDM / FFA
2. Private I: 300XP (300XP) – LMG Default Class
3. Private II: 900XP (1,200XP) – Sniper Default Class
4. Private III: 1,500XP (2,700XP) – Create A Class / Challenges / All Perks / All Gears / Domination / Ground War
5. Private First Class: 2,100XP (4,800XP) – Enfield / Contracts
6. Private First Class I: 2,700XP (7,500XP) – RPK / Clan Tag on Playercard
7. Specialist : 3,400XP (10,900XP) – Skorpion / Demolition
8. Specialist I: 4,100XP (15,000XP) – Stakeout
9. Specialist II: 4,800XP (19,800XP) – M14
10. Corporal: 5,500XP (25,300XP) – WA2000 / Sabotage / Headquarters / Killstreaks / Edit Playercard
11. Corporal I: 6,200XP (31,500XP) – MAC11
12. Corporal II: 7,100XP (38,600XP) – RPG / 18 Playercard Images
13. Sergeant: 8,000XP (46,600XP) – Capture the Flag / Search and Destroy / Combat Record / Clan Tag Color / 12 Playercard Backgrounds
14. Sergeant I: 8,900XP (55,500XP) – Famas / 18 Playercard Images
15. Sergeant II: 9,800XP (65,300XP) – Ballistics Knife
16. Staff Sergeant: 10,700XP (76,000XP) – Barebones Playlists / Emblem / 12 Playercard Backgrounds / 18 Playercard Images
17. Staff Sergeant I: 11,800XP (87,800XP) – AK74u
18. Staff Sergeant II: 12,900XP (100,700XP) – Python / 18 Playercard Images
19. Sergeant 1st Class: 14,000XP (114,700XP) – Team Tactical / Hardcore Playlists / Clan Tag on Gun / 12 Playercard Backgrounds
20. Sergeant 1st Class I: 15,100XP (129,800XP) – Galil / 18 Playercard Images
21. Sergeant 1st Class II: 16,200XP (146,000XP) – M60
22. Sergeant Major: 17,400XP (163,400XP) – Camo / 12 Playercard Backgrounds / 18 Playercard Images
23. Sergeant Major I: 18,600XP (182,000XP) – Uzi
24. Sergeant Major II: 19,800XP (201,800XP) – SPAS-12 / 18 Playercard Images
25. Lieutenant: 21,000XP (222,800XP) – 12 Playercard Backgrounds
26. Lieutenant I: 22,200XP (245,000XP) – AUG / 18 Playercard Images
27. Lieutenant II: 23,500XP (268,500XP) – L96A1
28. Captain: 24,800XP (293,300XP) – 12 Playercard Backgrounds / 18 Playercard Images
29. Captain I: 26,100XP (319,400XP) – PM63
30. Captain II: 27,400XP (346,800XP) – Strela-3 / 18 Playercard Images
31. Major: 28,700XP (375,500XP) – Face Paint / 12 Playercard Backgrounds
32. Major I: 30,100XP (405,600XP) – FN FAL / 18 Playercard Images
33. Major II: 31,500XP (437,100XP) – Crossbow
34. Lt. Colonel: 32,900XP (470,000XP) – 12 Playercard Backgrounds / 18 Playercard Images
35. Lt. Colonel I: 34,300XP (504,300XP) – MPL
36. Lt. Colonel II: 35,700XP (540,000XP) – 18 Playercard Images
37. Colonel: 37,200XP (577,200XP) – 12 Playercard Backgrounds
38. Colonel I: 38,700XP (615,900XP) – AK47 / 18 Playercard Images
39. Colonel II: 40,200XP (656,100XP)
40. Brigadier General: 41,700XP (697,800XP) – 14 Playercard Backgrounds / 18 Playercard Images
41. Brigadier General I: 43,200XP (741,000XP) – Spectre
42. Brigadier General II: 44,800XP (785,800XP) – 18 Playercard Images / 18 Playercard Images
43. Major General: 46,400XP (832,200XP)
44. Major General I: 48,000XP (880,200XP) – Commando / 18 Playercard Images
45. Major General II: 49,600XP (929,800XP)
46. Lt. General: 51,200XP (981,000XP) – 18 Playercard Images / 18 Playercard Images
47. Lt. General I: 52,900XP (1,033,900XP)
48. Lt. General II: 54,600XP (1,088,500XP) – China Lake / 18 Playercard Images
49. General: 56,300XP (1,144,800XP)
50. Commander: 58,000XP (1,202,800XP) – 9 Playercard Images
51. Prestige Mode: 59,700XP (1,262,500XP) – Prestige Playlists
Prestige Mode is a special mode in the online multiplayer for the past 4 (including this game) Call of Duty Games. Once you reach the level cap in online multiplayer, you have the option to enter prestige mode. Prestige mode gives you a special emblem next to your rank while resetting your rank. It resets everything except for clan tags (on your gun and gamertag/ID), emblems (on your gun), reticles, reticle colors, playercard, playlists, leaderboard stats, and the lifetime challenge list. A new addition to Black Ops allows you to get special playlists and leaderboard stats for prestiging atleast once. Some other special items are unlocked only through prestige. There are 15 levels of prestige in Black Ops.
Once you reach level 51 (not an actual level, but it takes a whole rank after 50), you can go to your playercard to enter prestige. Press the prestige mode button for the game to say:
“Do it all again?
Trade all of your accomplishments for a bit of prestige.
Other players will see your new Prestige rank icon in the lobby, Leaderboards, and game.”
Click More Info or Cancel.
“More Information Prestige has a price: You’ll restart at level 1 and EVERYTHING will be reset. Only your Playercard, Leaderboard rankings, Clan Tag, and playlists will be unaffected.”
Click Continue or Cancel.
There’s no going back.”
Click Enter Prestige or Cancel.
-Credit to callofduty.wikia.com for the picture.
Prestige Level: Unlocks
Prestige 1: Custom Class 6 / Playercard Background / 3 Playercard Images
Prestige 2: Playercard Background / 3 Playercard Images
Prestige 3: Custom Class 7 / Playercard Background / 2 Playercard Images
Prestige 4: Playercard Background / 2 Playercard Images
Prestige 5: Custom Class 8 / Playercard Background / 3 Playercard Images
Prestige 6: Playercard Background / 3 Playercard Images
Prestige 7: Custom Class 9 / Playercard Background / 6 Playercard Images
Prestige 8: Playercard Background / 3 Playercard Images
Prestige 9: Custom Class 10 / Playercard Background / 4 Playercard Images
Prestige 10: Playercard Background / 3 Playercard Images
Prestige 11: Playercard Background / 3 Playercard Images / 4 Face Paints
Prestige 12: Playercard Background / 4 Playercard Images
Prestige 13: Playercard Background / 2 Playercard Images / Colored Clan Tags
Prestige 14: Playercard Background / 2 Playercard Images / Gold Camo
Prestige 15: Playercard Background / 5 Playercard Images
Multiplayer Point System
In online multiplayer you earn experience points, also called XP, for doing what you’re supposed to do. Kill people in online matches or secure objectives and you will earn points. The points you earn vary depending the game mode you’re playing. In Free For All you earn 50 XP per kill, but in search and destroy you earn 500 XP per kill. The XP automatically gathers up and allows you to progress in rank. It is impossible to de-rank. You can earn extra points by killing people under certain circumstances. I will list all the ways you get bonus points in the next section.
In Black Ops you can earn extra points by killing people in certain ways or by capturing objectives. These are all Medals. Some will give you extra XP such as backstabber. You earn 50 extra XP to add onto your regular kill XP. Some medals give you XP for accomplishing a goal in an objective match like capturing a flag. Some Medals won’t award you with any XP, they are just special kills or objectives. I will list the names of these medals, also called bonus points, and how to obtain them.
First Blood (+100XP)
Be the first person to get a kill in a match.
Double Kill (+50XP)
Kill two enemies within a second.
Triple Kill (+75XP)
Kill three enemies within a second.
Kill four or more enemies within a second.
Kill an enemy when they’re one kill from getting a killstreak.
Kill the person who just killed you.
Kill an enemy who just killed your team mate.
Kill an enemy who is injuring your team mate.
Assisted Suicide (+100XP)
Injure an enemy and let him kill himself. The enemy usually takes fall damage which injures him enough to die.
Injure an enemy and have your team mate kill them. The amount depends on how much you injure the enemy. The assists go by multiples of 10. You can get up to 80 XP on playlists that give 100 XP per kill. On playlists that give 50 XP per kill, you can get up to 40. On Demolition you are always awarded 25XP.
You killed someone while you were dead. This can happen with an assisted suicide or a claymore.
Headshot an enemy who is in second chance.
Kill someone with a headshot.
One Shot One Kill (+50XP)
Kill an enemy with one shot from your sniper rifle.
Kill an enemy from a long distance.
Kill an enemy with a tomahawk.
Bank Shot (+100XP)
Kill an enemy with a banked tomahawk. This means you have to bounce it off something.
Stick a semtex grenade to an enemy.
Kill an enemy with the Ballistic Knife. You must shoot it, not melee with it.
Kill an enemy with a melee/knife to the back.
Get a kill after dying 5 or more times.
Revive a team mate in second chance. They must have the pro version for you to revive them. You do not need Second Chance on your class to revive them.
Road Rage (100XP)
Destroy an RC-XD.
Turret Kill (100XP)
Destroy a SAM Turret or Sentry Gun.
Destroy an aerial vehicle. The following values are for regular game modes, not search and destroy.
Spy Plane: +50 (100 Total)
Counter Spy Plane: +50 (150 Total)
Care Package: +200 (400 Total)
Cobra/Attack Helicopter: +200 (400 Total)
Huey/Chopper Gunner: +300 (500 Total)
Hind/Gunship: +300 (500 Total)
Scrapped Assist (50XP)
Help destroy an aerial vehicle.
Off the Air (100XP)
Took out a Valkyrie. This means you shoot down a valkyrie rocket.
Steal an enemy’s care package, sentry gun, SAM turret, or valkyrie rockets.
Share Package (50-?XP)
You earn this bonus when a team mate takes your care package, sentry gun, SAM turret, or valkyrie rockets. Depending on the package, you can earn different XP values:
Spy Plane: 50XP
Counter Spy Plane: 50XP
Grim Reaper: 100XP
Death Machine: 150XP
Sentry Gun: 200XP
SAM Turret: 200XP
Mortar Team: 200XP
Valkyrie Rockets: 200XP
Attack Helicopter: 200XP
Rolling Thunder: 300XP
Napalm Strike: 300XP
Chopper Gunner: 200XP
Attack Dogs: ?XP
Position Secure (150XP / 200XP)
Secure a flag on Domination / Secure a base in headquarters.
Above and Beyond
Secure a position while in Second Chance. Can be done on Domination or Headquarters.
Plant a bomb on Search and Destroy, Sabotage, or Demolition
Defuse a bomb on Search and Destroy, Sabotage, or Demolition
Kill an enemy defusing your bomb in Demolition or Search and Destroy.
Destroy a bomb site in Demolition or Sabotage.
Kill an enemy who is near your bomb site in demolition or S&D while your team is on offense. Kill an enemy while you’re holding the flag in CTF
Kill an enemy who is trying to take over your base/flag (Domination, Capture the Flag, Headquarters). Kill an enemy who is near your bomb site in demolition , sabotage, or S&D while your team is on defense.
Flag Runner (100XP)
Capture a flag in Capture the Flag.
Flag Return (100XP)
Return a captured flag in Capture the Flag.
Flag Capture (250XP)
Capture a flag in the game mode Capture the Flag.